Well it depend's i dont know much about the denon.
So you have to try, beware that with some level mismatch you might be
trowing away more SN ratio or bit's by going Digital > analog <digital
and analog to the speakers.

As i said the analog volume on the SB is also digital but probably at a
higher bit rate 24bit (soon some senior forum member IS coming to
browbeat me about this :) ).

What is best in practice you have to experiment with.
But don't automatically sneeze at bit reducing, it can be better than
the alternative.
And at 24 bit it is better than analog volume, it's whats my preamp is
doing anyway (it's upsampling everything to 24/96 prior to processing
)

But my experience is that most Analog to digital converters in HT amp's
is rather lowfi you use it for ye olde  VHS and tape deck and similar
uncritical applications.

And my kitchen setup with an SBR is done so that volume off my active
speakers is such that when the SBR volume is maxed out it is roughly as
loud as i ever want to play. So adjust the volume on the amps conected
to the SB to use as much of it's range as possible that's best practice
afiak.

--
Mnyb