doggieflyer;316077 Wrote:

> Putting on my generic user hat, Logitech needs to simplify network
> handling because most users won't know DHCP from ABC.  I'd have no clue
> that I was running two DHCP servers if I didn't have a bit of networking
> experience in my day job.
>
> I imagine my setup is not unusual.  I have a DSL router supplied by
> Verizon.  It provides DHCP by default.  You connect your computers to
> the router and they automatically gain a dynamic IP and connect to the
> internet, usually behind a default firewall built into the router.
> Most users will change nothing.  I added on a wireless router when I
> got a wireless laptop.  Plug it in and it all works together.
>
> Given this scenario, consumers aren't going to know the merits of
> disabling DHCP on the wireless router.  They go buy Squeezeboxes, get
> frustrated and return them.

No offence, but what exactly do you expect Logitech to be able to do
about it ?

DHCP was invented to simply networking for the average user. The
discovery mechanism that the SBs use (and which only works on a single
subnet) was designed to make things easier for the average user. They
provide a fallback mechanism (of entering the server's address
manually) for those unusual cases where there are more than one subnet.

>From my understanding of the DHCP protocol there isn't likely to be a
foolproof way of detecting that more than one DHCP server is active.
And even if there was the best the SB could was was say "help" and
leave the user to sort out the mess.

A network with more than one DHCP server fighting over the same address
space is broken and I don't see how Logitech can fix that*.

* I guess they could make a change to the server discovery mechanism
that the SBs and SBC use, but it is hard to see a sensible change to
make. It currently uses broadcasts, if you wanted to make it work
without fail across subnets and firewalls then I guess you'd have to
make SBR, SB, SBC and SC all go out onto the web to a SlimDevices
server and register their presence with each other there.

Even then it is hard to see how you would make it work, as it would be
a nightmare to determine which collection of SBR, SB, SBC and SC came
from which network. Even if you got that side it it to work there is no
guarantee they would be able to talk to each other on such a network
even once they had discovered each other.

The only other way would be to dump TCP, DHCP et al and take the
propriety route. I think it is pretty clear that would lose them more
current users than it would gain them.

--
andynormancx

Yes, it will. Yes, all of them. Yes, SoftSqueeze as well. What ?
I SAID ALL OF THEM !