Only having owned my SB3 for a couple of weeks I've caused considerable
surface scratching on the display unit (and having received it as a
present, I'm quite upset by my actions).

Does anyone have any ideas for removing such surface scratches?

Two solutions on the web look promising - such as AppleSauce
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Applesauce-Polish-Scratch-Removal-iPod/dp/B000NNM1B0/ref=pd_sxp_f_pt/026-8207151-6329205

..and Displex -
http://www.amazon.co.uk/PDA-Mobile-Phone-scratch-remover/dp/B000WOWKZW/ref=pd_sbs_ce_5/026-8207151-6329205

However, I don't want to waste money on fruitless experimentation, so
any ideas would be appreciated.

Alternatively, does anyone know if the top-half display acrylic can be
replaced (as a spare part) and how would one go about replacing such a
part?

--
spinaltap