redbroo;324012 Wrote:
> sorry again not been able to post details, here they are anyway
>
> primary dns suffix :
> node type : hybrid
> ip routing enabled : no
> wins proxy enabled : no
>
> ethernet adapter local Area connection 2 :
> con spec dns suffix :
> Description : Realtek RTL8139 family pci fast ethernet
>
> rnet NIC
> physical address : 00-05-5D-D3-4B-DB
> Dhcp Enabled :Yes
> Autoconfig Enabled : yes
> IP Address : 82.37.30.241
> subnet mask : 255.255.248.0
> Default gateway : 82.37.24.1
> DHCP Server : 62.31.176.116
> DNS servers :62.31.176.39
If that's the full output from ipconfig /all, then it appears you have
just one ethernet port (and no wireless port) in your PC. The fact that
the ethernet is described as "local area connection 2" is a little
strange - are you sure you've not missed anything out from the ipconfig
/all output? For example, was there a bit that said something like
this:

> Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
> Media State.... Media disconnected

Anyway, your ethernet port's IP configuration shows that you're
connected to Virgin Media (ex-Blue Yonder) cable broadband (in
Wolverhampton I think), and it was set up automatically via DHCP.

Now, if your ethernet port is connected to your cable modem, and you
genuinely only have the one port, how did you connect the Squeezebox2
via a crossover cable? If you unplugged the cable modem in order to
connect the Squeezebox, then the IP address assigned to the PC would
have disappeared and your networking would stop working.

It strikes me that you have two options:

1. If you don't want to buy any new hardware, then when you want to use
the Squeezebox you'll have to:
a). unplug the cable modem.
b). connect the Squeezebox
c). manually reconfigure your ethernet port and Squeezebox to use
static addressing, setting up a private subnet.

2. Buy a cable router with a built-in switch (nearly all inexpensive
routers have a 4-port switch), plug the cable modem into the router's
WAN port and the PC and Squeezebox into two of the router's LAN ports.

Since you say you're new to networking, my guess is that option 1 is
not really feasible. Apart from anything else you'd be disconnected
from the Internet while using the Squeezebox (so no Internet radio, for
example).

--
cliveb

Transporter -> ATC SCM100A