dhh;324078 Wrote:

> Still, this is a dangerous bug, since people's equipment could be
> damaged.

Given the new firmware behavior (fixed output = 100% volume on analog
and digital outs), how would you have handled the situation? For the
volume, I see two options:

1) after the upgrade, units with fixed output have full volume on both.
tough in situations like yours

2) after the upgrade, units with fixed output and less than full analog
volume switch to non-fixed output and less-than-full volume on both
outputs. tough in situations where the user is counting on
volup/voldown not affecting the volume

Sean mentioned this change on the forums a while back
(http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=49694) --not that
anyone expects you to have seen that!-- and I don't think anyone had
any brilliant ideas on how to handle the change.

One that occurs to me now -- too late for your upgrade -- is adding a
prominent note atop the release notes,
http://svn.slimdevices.com/repos/slim/7.1/tags/7.1/server/Changelog7.html
Out of curiosity, did you read the release notes before upgrading
(i.e., would that have helped *you*?), or is it just wishful thinking
that such a note might help?

The other possibilities are pretty heavy-handed, like trying to put
logic in the installer to read the YAML pref files (assuming you're
already on 7.x!), look for possible problems, and alert the user. But
there are several different installer methods -- Mac package, Windows,
Linux RPM, Linux Deb -- so that would be a real pain to put together.

If you still need fixed volume on the analog outputs, there's a page on
the Wiki that talks about Sean's suggestion (which sounds right for your
case), http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Connect_To_PowerAmp

You could also see the above-referenced forum post for info on how to
"downgrade" your firmware. You might also consider my VolumeLock
plugin, but it sounds like you were relying on a fixed volume
significantly below 100% and would be much better served with "proper"
attenuation.

--
peterw

http://www.tux.org/~peterw/
free plugins: http://www.tux.org/~peterw/#slim
AllQuiet BlankSaver ContextMenu FuzzyTime PlayLog
PowerCenter/BottleRocket
SaverSwitcher SettingsManager SleepFade StatusFirst SyncOptions
VolumeLock