I know what you mean about audio feedback sometimes being useful during
forwarding or rewinding, and I agree that a facility should have been
retained for that.

Guesswork is usually good enough for me, though, and I appreciate the
ability to forward or rewind very quickly and easily indeed.

Perhaps my years of experience with tape cassette decks left me good at
guessing how far I'm likely to need to wind to get to roughly where I
want! ("Roughly" being OK for casual listening). Pressing Play at the
same as Fast Forward wore the tape and head, so I got used to NOT
hearing what I was doing.

--
iceblinker