It's the end of an era.

For a long time, we used Snow wiki, the Snowdrift wiki and ticketing system that is on our live site. Snow wiki has a problem: its code base is a mess, tangled in with the rest of the Snowdrift code. When we launch our MVP, we'll be running on a new code base. That means there would be a lot of work to separate out the wiki functionality so we can continue using it. So several weeks (or months?) ago, a decision was made: no Snow wiki for MVP -- we'll switch to a different platform.

Chaos ensued.

People stopped using Snow Wiki tickets, but nobody knew what to use instead. OpenProject was set up, but nobody knew how it should be used. This was partially because it wasn't clear *whose* decision it was for how to use OP.

It's the end of an era, and the start of another.

We're now running with Holacracy, so we know exactly who decides which tools we use to organize and how we use them: whoever is filling the Project Management role. (That's me.) I've done some of that deciding: Documentation is going into a gitlab repo, which will also have a gitit (wiki) frontend; we're going to leave OpenProject and use Taiga (taiga.io) instead. You'll see more information about HOW to use these tools soon.

There's still one unanswered question: OpenProject has a nice way to organize meetings and record minutes. What do we replace that with? Here's the criteria I'm working off of:

- Tactical meetings have two outputs. Holacracy calls them "Projects and Next-actions"; we'll call them "User Stories and Tasks."
 - User stories and tasks will be publicly recorded in Taiga.
- Governance meetings produce changes to Roles and Policies.
- These are recorded in our governance docs, which are in a git repo [1]. We can make one commit per meeting, so we'll know which meeting produced what outputs. - Informal Meetings are really just another name for people getting together to chat. - Remember, in Holacracy, decisions are made by one role -- whichever has the accountability for doing the thing that the decision is about. - Discusion in an informal meeting *might* give someone the info they need to make a decision. IRC or email might do the exact same thing. - The only reason I'm calling these meetings at all is that it's common for roles to make decisions in informal meetings.
- Meetings are open to the public.

Here are my opinions based on the above:

- It's not important to keep minutes of Tactical or Governance meetings.
- In the spirit of open development, it *IS* important to have a place where the the snowdrift community (that's you) has a chance to give their thoughts on decisions and understand why those decisions were made. That means some public place where we post what was talked about in Informal Meetings. - It's probably not important to keep **minutes** of informal meetings -- it's probably enough just to post "These are the things we talked about and these are our conclusions" somewhere.
- It's important to publicize meeting times.

Two open questions:

1) Where should we post a record of what was discussed in informal meetings?
2) Where should we post times for upcoming meetings?

More opinions/answers:

- I'd like to avoid forcing people to make an account with a new service if I can help it. - Short-term thought is that we can probably keep both of these in the mailing list. - Longer-term thought is that upgrading to mailman3 or Discourse instead of the current mailing lists (mailman2). Both mailman3 and Discourse provide both full email list functionality and web interfaces (forums) to reply to discussion threads. Discourse provides the additional benefit of using tags instead of lists, which means you can tag a post with two different tags, and send it to two different lists, without sending it double to anyone subscribed to both lists. - Discourse is, IMO, the better long-term solution but might be more disruptive to implement short-term.

So I'll wrap up this monster email by proposing the following:

- For now, we send out meeting announcements to the mailing list.
- For now, we send out a record of what was discussed in Informal Meetings to the relevant mailing list.
- Long-term, we upgrade our mailing lists to Discord.

Feedback?

~Stephen

[1]: Currently on github, but will be moved to gitlab when we migrate from git.gnu.io to githost. https://github.com/smichel17/Governance.mdir