On 08/03/2016 06:34 PM, Aaron Wolf wrote:
> On 08/03/2016 05:19 PM, Aaron Wolf wrote:
>> Whenever there needs to be a carry-over, we use the difference
>> between a month's charges and any outstanding carry-over from
>> previous to reach up to the max, and thus widdle-away the carry-over over
>> multiple months if need be.
>>
>> Error in my wording: I meant "the difference between the max and the
>> current month's charges as the amount of any carry-over that is
>> available to be charged in a given month"

This approach seems like an excellent solution to me.  I agree with
Robert that it's better to have the monthly limit simply and
unequivocally mean that your payment method will never be charged more
than that in a given month, so I'm glad this discussion has resulted in
a solution that achieves that while avoiding auto-suspending any pledges
as a result of carry-over from previous months.

Re Stephen's concerns that this would be "significantly harder/more
complicated to explain and to display a history of," I think it should
be possible to design the history to make it clear what's going on with
this approach.  When there's carry-over, we'll just need to explain the
reason clearly and concisely.  The two possible reasons we now have for
carry-over are actually quite simple: either the amount last month was
too low (below minimum charge) or it was too high (above monthly limit).