Steve, the switch to Python 3 is happening for v5.4:
https://github.com/swcarpentry/python-novice-inflammation/issues/127
We're using Python 3 for our book also and devoting a few paragraphs to why and
to how to make it run in Python 2.7 if absolutely necessary. So you are not
alone in your charge. =)
Regardless of how we all feel about the transition, it's clear that it's not
going away, and nobody wants to work in a forked language.
Juan.

On Mon, Jun 15, 2015 at 4:42 PM -0700, "Titus Brown" <ti...@idyll.org> wrote:

My grad student has dragged our project into 2011, kicking and screaming (Khmer
is now Py3 compliant). I'll report back in a few months :)

--
Titus Brown, ctbr...@ucdavis.edu