We've been running rOpenSc package submissions in a similar way for a
couple of years and JOSS's process is derived from ours.  The main
difference is (1) reviews are not anonymous, but public, so no temporary
accounts are created or needed, and (2) in our case the author's repo is
merged in after acceptance, in JOSS's case the repo is never merged in, but
the paper (a markdown file), is extracted from the repo and compiled by a
bot.

I think the workflow you describe could be enabled by a bot similar to
JOSS's *wheedon* bot, which could extract a paper, submit it to a
*private* repository
and start a review chain.  I'm not sure how to enable anonymous accounts.
If every paper was a private repository within an organization, then you
could limit access to just the reviewers, and then extract the content to
show the author. This wouldn't allow them to respond in the thread, though.