I was speaking with a colleague last week about the possibility of using GitHub to manage paper submissions and reviews. The journal in question doesn't do open/accredited reviews, so I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the following workflow:

- author submits paper by sending URL of public GitHub repo to journal

- journal creates private repo and merges author's submission into

- journal creates temporary accounts with auto-generated names for reviewers and gives them access to the newly-created private repo

- reviewers post comments: authors and editors can see them/respond to them, but identities of reviewers are known only to editors

- authors make changes in the private repo in response to reviewers' comments, and merge from that to their public repo when they want to

Dr Greg Wilson
Director of Instructor Training
Software Carpentry Foundation