Daniel Kasak wrote:

We are talking about the possibility. The problem is that you don't like the answer that you're getting.

I haven't liked your answer, not so much because of the substance, but because of your condescending attitude.

No. Look at the post I responded to.

The main part of that post:
"I also work for an organization that is unwilling to move away from
Microsoft Office because they feel that they need the calendaring and
meeting arrangement facilities of Outlook, on Windows. Many of them
frequently work offline, so web-based solutions are not applicable. I'm
pinning my hopes on Evolution for Windows, but the project seems to be
moving very slowly (understandably, as it is a complex project with many
libraries to port).

I think that people that argue that there is no reason to develop a mail
client as part of OpenOffice because there are other mail client
applications available are misguided for two reasons:"

So where do you get: "... otherwise they won't switch, and not only that, they don't know anyone else who will switch either."

from that?

My take on it is that a lot of organizations could and would be persuaded to switch but they have certain organizational needs that can't be simply wished away.

Whatever. I'm just pointing out why it's not going to happen.

I wasn't aware that you were a Sun executive in charge of this whole project.

*or* *else* will get you no-where fast.

Point to any post on this forum like that.

Selective blindness. Read over the thread again.

I have. You're implying a tone to the posts in this thread that just doesn't exist. If I'm wrong, please provide quotes.

Why can't people get over themselves and use an existing application.

Without an email/pim component many will do just that. It's called MSO. Is that what you really want?

Um. I think you're just re-using the arguement that you were claiming hasn't been used.
Maybe forget about reading the thread. Read your own post.

Ahhhh. I get it now. You have a problem with people pointing out the reality of things as opposed to the way you only wished they were. You want "people [to] get over themselves and use an existing application." I thought the idea was to convince/persuade/entice people to use a different application -- OOo vs. MSO.

Well, the *reality* is that the lack of a suitable drop-in replacement for Outlook *is* a significant stumbling block. As much as I love the folks at the Mozilla foundation, T-bird+Sunbird isn't there yet. And I compared a completely up-to-date version of Evolution on the other side of this dual-boot box with a five-year old copy of Outlook. Closer, but there's a lot of functionality missing there as well.

This isn't just theorizing; I am friends with a woman who runs a business designing and maintaining small e-commerce websites from her home. Most of her client interaction is via the Internet. She uses Outlook practically like an operating system. In one place she can organize everything about a client -- e-mails, documents, outstanding tasks, etc. She doesn't even have to open a browser to view their sites because she can do that in the same message pane she uses to look at their emails. The only other programs she uses regularly are Photoshop and a WYSIWYG web page editor.

Don't like Evolution? Fine. Test it. Submit bug reports. Hassle the developers to hurry up with their Windows port. Do you really think that you're going to get a better product in less time by insisting that OOo include every function under the sun?

Reductio ad absurdum. I have yet to hear a call for a Tetris component, music composition, or audio editing, for instance. Last I checked those *are" functions and they *are* under the sun.

Oh wow. The garbage some people post when they've had their buttons pushed :)

And I note your response was the height of elocution. The fact is that nobody is "insisting that OOo include every function under the sun". We're talking about one specific thing here -- an answer to Outlook. By characterizing that as "every function under the sun", you're avoiding the real debate by arguing against something that hasn't ever been proposed, at least not in this thread, and not by me.

Sourceforge.net lists 105,746 active projects. A good case could be made that open-source development is the most unfocused, undisciplined, and wasteful phenomenon in the history of software. Starting "yet another" project is practically a revered tradition, so *suggesting* that OOo should somehow integrate an email/calendar/pim, preferably by cooperating with the Mozilla project, is actually quite conservative.

You're changing your arguement in mid-flight. You start out by saying that OOo developers should write their own mail client because it's a 'revered tradition', and immediately switch to saying that an existing email client be integrated. That's my arguement ... that we should focus on existing tools. Has logic finally sunk in?

So are you now suggesting that OOo could adapt or integrate existing tools to provide the requested functionality? Then what the **** are we arguing about??!! I'm perfectly fine with that-- always have been, and I've repeatedly stated the same -- *provided* that the existing tools actually provide the requested functionality. Unfortunately, they don't, AFAICT.

I was merely reacting to your implication that the "open-source" way of doing things is to be very conservative with scarce resources and work with existing projects as much as possible. Nice theory, but that's clearly not the way open-source works in reality. If that were the case there wouldn't be 350 different flavors of Linux, when a generous count would yield maybe 20-30 genuinely distinct market niches. And there certainly wouldn't be over 100K active projects on SF.

Open-source could be right now kicking Bill's butt, if only it weren't so much like herding cats. Unfortunately, entirely too many open-source developers are basically selfish and narcissistic. Convinced that they're going to be the one to write the next killer text editor or browser, as if there weren't a hundred of them out there already.

--

Rod