On 3/21/06, Alexis Pigeon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> Hi Chad,
>
> On 21/03/06, Chad Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> 5)  You multiposted to users@ and discuss@ with a suspicious looking
> email.
> > In the last few weeks, we've been getting a lot of SPAM that way.
> >
>
> Could you tell me how you define a suspicious looking email?


I said a suspcious looking email - *not* a suspcious looking email address.
The email itself was suspcious.  However, I have received plenty of SPAM
from email addresses that look like they are coming from domains that I
trust.  At work, our email addresses all end in @shofar.com.  We are the
only people (the ones at work) that have that domain name in our email.
However, I've gotten dozens if not hundreds of emails coming from
[EMAIL PROTECTED] or [EMAIL PROTECTED], etc.  (addies that don't exist - I
know since I control all the @shofar.com address in existance).


One coming from
> a broad email provider (thus easy to register to), made of a combination
> of
> letters and numbers, or one coming from the openoffice.org domain?


@openoffice.org is not a hard email address to get.  It's pretty easy to
register there too.  And, it's free.  With gmail - someone had to invite
you. :-)


I would
> actually trust far more the latter than the former as far as downloads are
> concerned... ;)
>

I base my trust on content not domain name.  If I got an email from my best
friend's email address that said "DOWNLOAD THIS NOW!
ftp://link.addy.com/file.exe";  I wouldn't do it without a futher
explaination from them.

--
- Chad Smith
http://www.gimpshop.net/
http://www.whatisopenoffice.org/
Because everyone loves free software!
http://www.chadwsmith.com/
Because, admit it, you've got nothing better to do right now...

Reply via email to