On 5/17/06, Nicolas Mailhot <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:


> It would take 2 things for me to say that.  Not just one.  And they are
2
> big things - not small.

Well Sun hasn't done its two big things for Java.


Now that I think about it - it would be 3.

1)  Make MS Office cost-free, as in $0 price tag.  I don't care if they GPL
it or not - as long as it's legal for me to download and put on as many
computers as I want - forever.

2)  Make MS Office cross-platform.  Like OOo, if I could download the same
program for Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows (yes, i use all 3), and it be the
same program, that would be good.

3)  Make MS Office virus-safe.  Whatever holes they need to plug to make
that happen.  Notice, I said virus safe, not virus proof.  I know that's
pretty much impossible.  But make it as safe as OOo.

If MS fixed those three things - and only those 3 things - then I'd say it's
the best thing since sliced bread.  But there's no chance of that
happening.  Any of it.  They might release some sort of "free" version -
like maybe make MS Works a no-cost download.  But that's about as close as
they'll get to that one.  And I know MS Office is on Windows and Mac - but
it's 2 different sets of programs, and to use MS Office on Linux, you have
to emulate Windows - so that doesn't count either.

But, yeah, that's not the same as just changing the liscence - so Nicholas
was right about that.  But he is still wrong about Java only being on Linux
because of the blood, sweat, and tears of the UFFFSZ's.

--
- Chad Smith
http://www.gimpshop.net/
http://www.whatisopenoffice.org/
http://www.chadwsmith.com/
Got an Intel Mac Mini?  Want one?
http://minimacs.freepay.com/?r=29227644

Reply via email to