Hi Ash

Your product was recently recommended to me be a nice chap at PC World. I had never heard of it before. Upon looking at what it offers I am very tempted to download it. However, call me an old cynic, but I keep asking people, why is the product free? What's in it for the producers of the product? What am I missing?

I understand your skepticism and concern - many things on the internet that are free are suspect, including spyware and adware. OpenOffice.org is not like that.

There is a whole area of thought about computer software that is decades old and world-wide that you are just discovering. The thought is that software should be free - not so much free of cost, but free from the excessive restrictions that encumbers so much software today.

This is a movement led by the Free Software Foundation and Open Source Initiative. Probably the best introduction you can have is to read the material from these two groups at their web sites:

http://www.fsf.org/
http://www.opensource.org/

This movement is much bigger than OpenOffice.org, and has inspired other groups such as the Mozilla Foundation (who produce the Firefox web browser and Thunderbird email client) and Linux (a free operating system). Large computer/software organisations like Sun, IBM and Novell have bought in to the open source way of thinking, believing it is a better way to produce software and do business.

Please write back with comments and further questions. I'd be especially interested in hearing your feedback about what you learn.

Adrian
www.tryanotherangle.org.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
For additional commands, e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reply via email to