It is my understanding that the OpenOffice.org trademarks and all of the
various domain registrations are being transferred to the Apache Software
Foundation.

It might well be that a full-up site transfer can be pulled off, but it is the
case that Apache infrastructure does not support everything that runs on the
current OpenOffice.org sites and there may not be adequate resources to migrate
and support them, like for like.

Everything at ASF is done by volunteers.  If it is something not already
supported on Apache infrastructure, there has to be Apache OOo project members
who step forward to carry out migration and continuing maintenance at the IT
infrastructure level.

We are completely missing any technical support for migrating, preserving, and
operating these mailing lists, for example.  That is a serious factual problem
behind Rob Weir's warning that these lists may go away.  (The message was more
emphatic than that, but it isn't over until it's over.)

Another example is the MediaWiki that is used on OpenOffice.org.  There is no
MediaWiki instance running anywhere at Apache.  One was brought up on a test
server provided by Apache on the condition that we had volunteers who could
maintain it.  Likewise for the forums.

Moving Bugzilla, the Issue Tracker, was easy because that is an
already-supported product on Apache infrastructure.  Even then, it was not
possible to preserve existing user passwords, so existing users have to go
through a password-reset procedure in order to be set up on the new Bugzilla.
Even then, there are lots of broken connections and other materials on
OpenOffice.org that need to be corrected as well.

The plumbing underneath the OpenOffice.org sites and their services is quite
intricate and it is not a matter of just doing a system dump and coming up on
another server that Apache can operate and direct the domain names to.  You
might be surprised to learn that there is more than one server involved, but
that is all hidden under the façade of the overall site and domain name.

Does that help?  Too much information?

 - Dennis