From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf
Of Lindsay Marshall
Sent: Saturday, June 23, 2007 4:32 AM
To: Frank Wales; discuss@ppig.org
Subject: RE: PPIG discuss: Programmer education argument-starter of the
week

> "If you don't know how compilers work, you don't know how computers
work."
>  http://steve-yegge.blogspot.com/2007/06/rich-programmer-food.html

> Seems pretty uncontroversial to me. :-)

Of course it is, but the question that this gives rise to is "why do you
need to know how computers work?" There are loads of things I use every
single day that I only have the vaguest idea of how they work (diesel
engine, microwave, brain) and that doesn't stop me. And indeed knowing
how a diesel engine works would not improve my driving one iota.

L.