Fra: [EMAIL PROTECTED] på vegne af Peter Gutmann
Sendt: sø 24-06-2007 08:26
Til: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; discuss@ppig.org
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Emne: RE: PPIG discuss: Programmer education argument-starter of the week

"Gaspar, Alessio (USF Lakeland)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>Mmmm, this analogy is flawed, what about reconsidering it along the lines of:
>
>Car mechanics = electrical engineering / comp org / comp architecture
>Driving professionally = programming / software engineering
>Driving casually = using a computer

Going off on a bit of a tangent, what about considering the evidence in "The
Camel has Two Humps"
(http://www.cs.mdx.ac.uk/research/PhDArea/saeed/paper1.pdf) which argues that
programming ability shows a strong bimodal distribution and that some people
will never learn to program/be good programmers no matter what teaching
methods you use, while others will, no matter what teaching methods you use.
Maybe it's not a case of "you need to understand X" but "you need to be born
with the geek gene".

Peter.