Jonathan, I hope you don't mind the suggestion, but I wonder if you'd
be open to possibly shifting your URL scheme a little?

For example, if /user/list routes to the "list of users" resource,
which is what I call a "collection", you might want to consider
something like this:

/users
/users/{id}

I have the impression that this scheme is becoming fairly common in
RESTful web services, and it was used repeatedly in the new book,
RESTful Web Services (which I highly recommend).

HTH,
Avi