On Jan 16, 2008, at 12:43 PM, Rob Heittman wrote:

The behavior of intermediaries, such as forward and reverse proxies, would be undefined in relation to a custom status code, which could lead to some really difficult-to-find problems.

Perhaps, but that shouldn't be for you to decree. If a programmer wants to have his own status codes, let him; and let him accept the consequences as well. Restlet is neither a server or a client: it's a framework for letting others write their own and as such, it should be as extensible as possible.

In my case, we're dealing with a custom server and a custom client that talk only to each other. That, plus what Joshua Tuberville quoted from RFC 2616:

... applications MUST understand the class of any status code, as indicated by the first digit, and treat any unrecognized response as being equivalent to the x00 status code of that class

Note the use of the word "MUST". Hence, Restlet is NOT in compliance with the RFC. I would consider this a bug.

- Paul