Hello Paul,
is it necessary to use the legacy datatype array?
Since when is an array a "legacy datatype"? (If this were C++ instead of Java, that question would have more merit.)
Since we have java.util.List. Ok, sometime it is useful to ue arrays, but IMO in the most cases the list is the better solution. Typically you collect the result in a List, because you don't know the result size. Than you perhaps convert it to an array. So it is not faster to return arrays. The only argument for arrays are for me, that they are faster.
I think never the Series deals with arrays. What about returning Series<String>?
I prefer simpler APIs. Your suggestion means I have to understand what a Series is, why it's supposedly better than either an array or a Collection, and how I have to use it.
Series is also a List. you can handle it as List.

best regards
  Stephan