Thanks Jon.

What I am trying to accomplish is implementing the Last-Modified /
If-Modified-Since logic. Where I would tag responses with a uniform
"Last-Modified" header for all resources/representations and when a request
comes in with a "If-Modified-Since" header I'd send appropriate HTTP 304
response or completely process the response.

Ideas/Best Practices to accomplish this without having to get the
HttpServletRequest/Response objects to do this would be great

http://restlet.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4447&dsMessageId=2360959