Ok, I found the root cause of the problem.
It had nothing to do with Restlet or my code. It was all a matter of installing
correctly the intermediate certificates on AWS. The certificate chain of my CA
consists of 4 certificate files, and AWS needs this chain in a very specific
order (signing certificate first, CA root certificate last, and all other
certificates in between), given in a pem/text format. Unfortunately the AWS
documentation is a mess, so I had to dig around and do some trial-and-error
before making it work.

Your suggestion about checking the getStatus() stack (and the
java.security.cert.CertPathValidatorException exception) of the response was
the trigger that lead me to investigate and revise the way I installed my certs
on AWS, so thanks for that. :)

So I guess this matter is closed. Thanks for the support, I really appreciate
it. :)
Keep up the good work you're doing on Restlet.

br,
Alex