Thanks for the response.  I have a feeling that the guy in charge will force this to happen.  He has already merged the public and intranet staging environments into one cluster.  Like you said, this will probably be turned on and then he will be surprised to see what happens.  The Java stuff is currently on a *nix server of some sort.  And they think it will be a snap to move all that to Windows.  I'm sure with small to medium apps, and in limited numbers, all this would work.  But there are some large application with heavy duty processing.  Yes this is getting a new box so the 2 in the cluster will be hefty machines, but still.  With the Java apps, you will have two groups vying for various settings for optimization.  If CF goes awry and the box needs rebooting, the Java apps suffer as well.  Meaning more ticked off customers.  Meaning the contractors get yelled at.

mcg

Douglas Knudsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent by: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

09/27/2006 02:18 PM

Please respond to
discussion@acfug.org

discussion@acfug.org
cc
Subject
Re: [ACFUG Discuss] Server Questions

Well, sounds like someone is getting paid big bucks in the architecture seat.  hehe.

'
One, they want to run multiple instances of CF off of one instance of JRun '
I suppose that is doable, I've never seen it before though myself, nor have I heard anyone doing this.  I don't see a real advantage.  Maybe its easier to play the 'pass the WAR' game though, giving the ability to have one WAR per application, standard in the J2EE world.

Seeing how in the end this is all about how J2EE apps perform and play nice together, I'd say its similar to all the J2EE performance stuffs.  More than a disssertaions worth of data out there on that.  Get out your jvmstat tool and load tester, eh?  Or do it like we do...just turn it on and see what happens :)   I'm abit spoiled working on intranet apps though.

I don't want to subtract from this forum any, but the cf-server list at
houseoffusion.com may have someone on it with expereince in this.  Its a very low volume list and sometimes gets some good responses.

DK