Andy, there's really no substitute for getting a tool like FusionReactor or
SeeFusion (or the CF8 monitor if one is on CF8 Enterprise). Not only will
they tell you what requests are running (showing you if there's some issue
of you hitting a queuing problem of too many requests trying to run at
once), but they can also let you view (for each request) exactly what line
of code is running (by taking a stack trace). If you see a given request
stuck at the same request over repeated stack traces, then there's your clue
as to what the problem is.

If you don't see anything jump out, then it could be any of a few other
things that may not show up as "stuck requests", whether problems in the web
server, or problems due to client variable management, and more. Hope any of
these may give you clues.

I'll say that if anyone is ever in a pinch and can't resolve such problems
and cant' find answers otherwise, I'm available to help you (over the web,
with no minimum time requirement and at a reasonable rate). More info at
carehart.org/consulting/. Pardon the commercial, but I just realize
sometimes people run out of time to tramp around the net looking for
solutions. :-)

/charlie