  From: Clarke Bishop
  To: discussion@acfug.org
  Sent: Thursday, May 01, 2008 10:02 AM
  Subject: [ACFUG Discuss] Best way to download a PDF file

  I have a 2 MB PDF that I get's downloaded via a CFM page so that I can do
some tracking of who downloads the page.

  It seems there are two ways to make this work:

  <cfcontent type="application/pdf" file="myFile.pdf" reset="yes">

  Normally, this would just open the PDF in the browser.

   - OR -

  <cfheader name="Content-Disposition" value="attachment; filename=myFile.pdf">
  <cfcontent type="application/pdf" file="myFile.pdf" reset="yes">

  This prompts the user whether they want to save or open the document.

  Here are my questions:

  1. My client thought that some users would not know how to click the save
icon in the Adobe Reader plug-in to save the PDF to their local drive. So,
option 2 would be better as it give them the choice. But, my users are coming
to the page from a link in an email and option 2 leaves open a blank web
browser after the open/save dialog. This might be confusing, too. Is there
another option that will work better? Can I download the page and then redirect
them to a download complete page? Or, maybe I should send them to a landing
page from the e-mail link and then let them download from there?

  2. With either option, sometimes the file fails to fully download, and the
PDF displays with an error message:
   "There was an error opening this document. The file is damaged and could not
be repaired"

  I added  <cfsetting requestTimeOut="600"> To try and prevent this problem.
But, somewhere I saw that the requestTimeOut doesn't apply to CFContent, so I'm
not sure this really helps.

  The problem was hard to duplicate since it seems to be bandwidth-dependent.
So, I turned on throttling in Charles, and selected a 56K modem to force low
bandwidth. It seems to download consistently for about 2 minutes (About 25% of
the 2MB file), and then just hangs for about 4.5 minutes and produces the
error. I removed the <cfsetting> tag and got essentially the same behavior --
It goes for 2 minutes, then hangs for

  Once I deploy this, I expect thousands of downloads, and I don't want to have
to handle a bunch of support calls.

  Any ideas on how to best handle the user interface and prevent this download
timeout would be very much appreciated.

       Clarke

  List hosted by FusionLink