As long as you're asking (thanks, Cam), one of the things I nearly always
lament in such talks is that they start with the presumption that "everyone
gets the use of OO in CF", or even simply that "everyone uses CFCs". So they
launch into discussions of patterns at a level that can leave many in the
audience quickly behind. Indeed, I'd suggest that some may have been scared
away from the topic for this very fear. I mean, sure, you say in the
description (on the ACFUG site) that "Everyone uses one or more design
patterns, but many do not even know it or fully understand the implications
of the pattern they use". Really, that oft-related sentiment tends to ring a
little hollow for me as I wonder what perspective the writer is coming from,
and how it will sound to some in the audience.

So can you tell us here (and maybe even consider clarifying on the
description on the site) whether you are presuming experience either with
CFCs or OO development in CFML? Even then, one might say "well, if you've
used CFCs you can understand this", but really so many still use CFCs as
nothing more than method containers (essentially static classes, to use the
OO/java parlance), so that you can't even leave the statement at that.

I realize it may be too late for you to do much to consider whether and how
to address that crowd. I'm just saying it would help to clarify in the
description-or at least at the outset of your talk tomorrow-which audience
you're really speaking to. It's just become kind of common for user
group/conference talks and blog entries (and even some general interest
mailing lists) for many to presume that everyone's on board with using CFCs
as an integrated, OO-like development practice, where the discussion of
design patterns will help make them better at that. Nothing wrong with the
latter, but my experience is that the former isn't the case, and really most
"in the trenches" CFers are still mired in procedural coding or using just
the most basic CFCs.

I could be wrong, but again my point is simply that even if it's a smaller
percent of the total audience (or a small percent of those who come
regularly to the meeting), it just wouldn't hurt to be explicit about which
audience you're speaking to.

This isn't meant to be lashing out at you, Cam. I know you're always really
effective in your presentations and writings. We have an abundance of riches
in our group, with so many great speakers, list contributors, and
organizers! :-) Again, I'm just reflecting a situation I've observed in many
user groups and conferences. Hope it's helpful.

/charlie