Am 06.02.2018 um 23:27 schrieb Jean-Philippe PIALASSE:
On 2018-02-05 18:50, John H. Bennett III wrote:
Hello all,

Long time since I've posted something.  I'm curious what others are
using to backup their servers.  I know we offer backup to tape
(flexbackup) and backup to workstation (dar) in the product today.
I've personally been using tape, as it's been very, very reliable for
the amount of data I've been backing up, but I now will have a need to
backup ~500GB, and possibly more over time.  Using tape isn't going to
work as the backup window is too short for that to complete.  I also
don't want to just totally rely on a raid 5 system.  I haven't done
much with Raid 6, but that's pretty much burning 2 drives for the
parity stuff.

I see others are using backup to workstation, but I've also seen what
appears to be some major periodic issues, like losing the catalog, and
not being able to restore being the major one that would cause some
issues.

I'm getting ready to try to do some testing of my own, but I would
appreciate others sharing their experiences, both good and bad, and
specific add-on products, if not using the default ones.  I had been
trying to get Amanda to work, but my day job is pretty much taking up
all of my time, so I'm not able to spend any good time on it.
I used for some time home-made rsync script as Michael does. I still
have one or two around, but I can affirm that backuppc is rock solid.

The interface allow easy recovery of few files or a whole directory.
You can use some command line to use this backup to create a tgz file to
migrate a server from version to version using the smeserver base
restoration.
Plus it can optimize the space used by the backup trough different set
of backup. If you backup multiple server with similar files.
It is pretty modular, so you can do full or incremental backup at your will.

JP

Hi all

I did a backup solution based on rsync a while ago for the reasoning why I went this path see the otibackup wiki page. This has been running on my SME servers 8 and 9 for the last 7 years, taking backups to an nfs share on a QNAP device. It just runs, if you want details, I'd have to make myself familiar with it again :- )
ortecin GmbH
Postfach, Waffenplatzstrasse 40, 8002 Zuerich

mobile: +41 79 689 1052, phone:  +41 44 280 2828