I had an interesting thing happen today. The watchdog (atleast thats what the system log called it) on my WAN interface reset the WAN interface (any idea why that would have happened?) which caused all my outbound NAT to longer work. All my private gw (LAN/OPT*) carp interfaces/ips were still MASTER on fw0 but the the public (WAN) carp interface/ip to which I bound all my outbound NAT failed over to fw1.

Should this have continued to function?

It didn't. I had to disable carp on fw1 to let it the public carp interface fail back to fw0 (where all the other private carp interfaces were still MASTER). It almost seems that all the carp interfaces/ips need to failover if one of them goes down. Am I missing something? I'm sure I must be.