I researched this long ago and have been in touch with the author who ported lvs to freebsd. Even if it did work well it doesn't support pfsync (according to the author) which is a huge drawback. Once slbd is stable pfSense will be nearly on par with what commercial firewalls offer (with regard to load balancing). pfSense is already miles beyond any other OSS fw project. I spend a month researching every OSS fw under the sun. If you have advanced load balancing needs then you might just consider creating one or two LVS boxes and putting them behind your firewall. It runs on low end hardware just fine.