I have also seen this behavior on several different machines with no rhyme or reason to it.  I have seen this issue in 0.82.4 as well as 0.84 (I don't remember off-hand if I saw it happening in a version previous to 0.82.4 or if so, what version it was).

This issue does not appear to be specific to a particular hard drive make/type/model nor to a particular brand of motherboard, but I would suspect that this hang, whatever it is, is probably a FreeBSD issue and not specific to pfSense.

-Gary
-----Original Message-----
From: Craig Roy [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, September 14, 2005 6:17 AM
To: discussion@pfsense.com
Subject: [pfSense-discussion] Massive Boot delay during load

Hi All,

Thanks for your work and efforts in making pfSense a great product.

After the release of the Update .84 I downloaded the complete update file and proceeded to upload to my test machine, (which will be going through its paces until November when I finally get DSL).

Here is what I have experienced after the update. After uploading the update file, I rebooted the system and observed the boot process. I was initially met by the normal bootup process until it got to:

ad0: 38165MB <Seagate ST340016A 3.10> at ata0-master UDMA100

acd0: CDRW <CD-W54E/7.1F7H> at ata1-master PIO4

10minute boot delay then displayed the following (copied from the system log but same message).

Trying to mount root from ufs:/dev/ad0s1a

I thought that it had stalled during bootup and I rebooted.

Again the delay halt, during this delay, no HDD or CDRW activity is observed for nearly 10 minutes (to the second). I thought that I had managed to corrupt the setup. I simply reinstalled the previous ISO .82.4 and normal boot time experienced. I then again updated the firmware to .84 and rebooted, the same delay noticed and timed at 10minutes before continuing to the pf menu. I wondered if the update had a problem, so I downloaded the ISO .84 and reinstalled the complete setup from the new ISO.

From booting the CD to get to the install procedure was again 10 minutes. I have gone through the boot loader files, but I am unable to see anything out of the ordinary that would cause this delay.

I changed the IDE Channels from CDRW to HDD and so on that I would normally do during a troubleshooting procedure, right down to having No NIC’s installed and HDD only, same result.

Will the old loader files be compatible with this version to test?

I am not sure if it is looking for a device that is not actually installed in my machine that may have been on the DEV machine, and thought that it may actually look for Flash Cards during this time and is consistently waiting for a response until it times out before continuing.

Have you got any ideas that I may try?

WebGUI CPU Meter Usage is better but still @ 60% - 67% idle.

I hope that you don’t mind me giving you some feedback. I am not greatly concerned at this point in time as this is basically my own machine. I am used to installing systems and testing is one of the jobs that I do day to day.

SYSTEM SPECS

2GHZ Intel P4

40GB HDD

512MB DDR