Please give 0.86.2 a try if you have had "Cannot load kernel" issues.
I have a box here that has never worked (Pentium 4, 3ghz w/ 120 gig
drive).  Thanks to recent  changes to BSD Installer by Chris Pressey
it's now working!

I have a feeling that this change may work for you guys as well.

Just don't forget to format the drive (it will ask now).

Scott