From: Bill Marquette [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, June 27, 2006 10:49 PM
To: discussion@pfsense.com
Subject: Re: [pfSense-discussion] load balancing - fail over

On 6/27/06, Allen Laymon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I'm having an issue using load balancing/failover and using a Cisco VPN
> client to connect to a remote machine.  It's hit and miss whether or not
the
> Cisco VPN client works.  It appears to go out one of my internet
> connections, but can return on the second internet connection?  I'm not
sure
> how to resolve this.  Anyone have a similar instance?
>
> Allen

You'll want to create a rule that sends this traffic out only one WAN
link (you won't get failover on that rule...sorry).  The issue here is
that most IPSec clients usually use two connections, UDP 500 (or
whatever NAT-T lives on) and proto ESP.  Unless you get lucky and both
make it out the same WAN and establish state that way, the remote
gateway is going to drop you when it see's different source addresses
from the connections.

--Bill