I understand exactly what you are saying. The device does not exist until the VPN has actually been created.   When I went through the same process 2 days ago I did exactly this.

1. Configured/Established the OpenVPN connection
2. Went to the assign option for interfaces
3. Created an OPENVPN interface from tap0
4. Created an advanced outbound NAT mapping.

Hope this helps.