I find this an interesting argument, but I'd like to see some real analysis (with numbers), or at least sources.

If you're right, I'm doing it wrong (3 old trucks (2 toyota landcruisers, one 67 chevy converted to a flatbed) + selling new computer components).

I don't see much evidence (in the US) for the post-consumer recycling of vehicles.

And computers get replaced far more often. The newest car I own is a 1988 landcruiser. The other is a 1974. I can't imagine running pfsense on a circa 1988 computer.