From: "Adrian Wenzel" <adr...@lostland.net>
To: <discussion@pfsense.com>
Sent: Sunday, March 01, 2009 6:22 AM
Subject: Re: [pfSense-discussion] WAN LAN1 and LAN2 (OPT1)

My apologies, I meant Network layer, not Transport.  Sheesh.  Serves me right
for spamming the list with general info (as I spam it
again with my correction ;)

<snip>

So there 4 bits in the 2nd octet, 8 bits in the 3rd octet, and 8 bits in the
4th octet that are valid for use as IPs on the "local"
subnet (the +'s represent bits that, if changed, would tell the Transport layer
that the IP is not local... the -'s are bits you can
change to give yourself IPs local to your subnet.  Note that they correspond to
the 1's and 0's of the netmask).

</snip>