I have a somewhat off-topic question. This involves pfSense
as the firewall, though.

If I use a dumb switch as a poor man's VLAN, will the
Ethernet frame tagging get propagated to smart switches further
downstream?

--WAN-pfsense-LAN(dumb switch)-LAN(smart switch)-LAN(smart switch)
              dumb systems     smart systems     smart systems

Or is this undefined, depending on whether the dumb switch can pass
on 1522 Byte Ethernet frames downstream, which are 4 Bytes larger
than the standard allows?