From: Dov Grobgeld <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Omer Zak <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Recording the Lecture [was Re: Date Correction [was Re:
Telux:"Linux Kernel Tuning and Customisation" on 26 March]]
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 00:10:17 +0200
Hi Omer,

Indeed I ment to send my reply to the list, but made i mistake in the
sending. But never mind. I didn't read the whole thread before I
responded and I realized others said the same thing I meant to say
publically.

When working with volunteers there is no other way than begging, I
believe. And giving positive feedback. This is true of free sw
contributions, wikipedia, community volunteer work etc. If you (the
collective you) are the reciever you should smile and thank the giver
for what you received. Of course you have in parallell the right to
demand the same service should be provided by the government, social
services etc, in order not to be dependent on volunteers.

Larry's lecture was the first work I ever worked on transcribing. And
it wasn't easy, as Larry is using a special perl specific vocabulary.
When listening it doesn't really matter whether he sais "simil" or
"situal" or "sigil" (which is the word he used). But when transcribing
you really have to understand it. Which is good per se, because it
forces a different level of understanding of the lecture. The reader
as well, has the advantage of seeing the exact words, which is another
advantage of the transcription, that you can add to your list of
transcription advantages.

But the fact is a lot of times the contents is too casual for people
to bother to make the effort. Or they want to hide the fact that they
didn't understand everything. Or they might not be interested in
learning enough to give a sensible translation. Most lectures are like
irc conversation transcripts. It might be nice to read through quickly
once. But it is not something that you want to return to. (That is not
the case with Larry's talks though, which I feel are quite eternal.
:-).

I'm falling asleep so I'll stop here.

Feel free to forward this email to the email list if you feel like it.

Regards,
Dov

--
Every good master plan involves building a time machine.  Moshe Zadka
My own blog is at http://tddpirate.livejournal.com/

I may be affiliated in any way.