I would like to share with you my feelings about the planned lecture's
audio recording.
>From the fact that the volunteer work on textual transcript of Larry
Wall's lecture
(http://wiki.osdc.org.il/index.php/Larry_Wall_-_Present_Continous%
2C_Future_Perfect) was not finished so far, I understand that there are
not enough volunteers to do similar work on other lectures.

Until now, lectures in Israeli Linux/Perl/Python clubs were either
available (after the fact) as presentations or unavailable.  I felt
equal to you (as deaf person), because I could read those lectures on
the same basis as you could.

However, introduction of audio recordings, without immediately
accompanying them with textual transcripts, has the effect of
disfranchising me and other deaf software developers, making us less
human, less valuable than you hearies.  In the long range, this can
adversely affect also our being able to be employed (or get freelance
projects) and earn money.

This is similar to the effect on the deaf of introduction of telephones
in the latter part of 19th century.  Before telephones, the deaf were
almost equal to the hearing.  However, telephones put a large distance
between the hearing and the deaf.  Only in recent years, did this gap
get closed, thanks to newer technologies (modems, Internet, IM
applications, SMS).

I hope you agree with me that there is a problem!

Now, let's think about solutions to the problem.

1. Suppressing audio recordings would solve the discrimination problem,
but would not be good for the blind, busy people (who would like to
listen to the lecture while they are stuck in traffic jams), as well as
hold back technological progress.

2. Money to pay for paid work transcribing lectures:  from where will
the budget come?  If there are more lectures than budget, how to select
which lectures to transcribe?

3. The solution which I suggest is as follows:
After the lecture is recorded, make the recording available only to
volunteers, each of whom is to agree to transcribe say 5-minute or
10-minute segment of the lecture, in exchange for early access to the
lecture and for giving them credit for transcribing it.  Once the
transcribing work is done, make the audio recording and the textual
transcription available together to the Web surfing world.
[If the lecture is in English, the transcribers can first run
speech-to-text software on it and then manually fix its mistakes.]

4. Maybe there is another solution of which I did not think?

                                      Thanks,
                                           --- Omer