Hi Yaniv,

On Fri, 25 Mar 2016 13:41:38 +0300
Yaniv Kaul <yk...@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 25, 2016 at 12:32 PM, Shlomi Fish <shlo...@shlomifish.org>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi Lior, Edward, and everypony!
> >
> > On Thu, 24 Mar 2016 23:33:03 +0200
> > Lior Kaplan <kaplanl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Guys,
> > >
> > > Can anyone help Edward installing Linux ?
> > >

> > I called Edward now, and he told me that he sent that message a month ago,
> > and
> > was able to fix the problem since and to install Linux. So - problem
> > solved and
> > there's no need to call or E-mail Edward about it.
> >
> > Just for the future, here are some useful links for online forums and other
> > resources where one can ask questions:
> >
> > * http://www.shlomifish.org/open-source/resources/israel/
> >
> > *
> >
> > http://teachingopensource.org/index.php/How_to_start_contributing_to_or_using_Open_Source_Software
> >
> > * http://www.shlomifish.org/philosophy/computers/how-to-get-help-online/
> >
> > * http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
> >
> > Note that asking people for help in private E-mail is not only rude but
> > tends
> > to be ineffective. One should really post to Internet forums.
> >

> Rude is a bit harsh, especially as there are reasons why people might
> prefer to ask privately for assitance.
> Don't alienate.

Sorry if I misspoke (I'm not a native English speaker) and I didn't intend to
alienate. I aplogise if it came across as such. Anyway, what I meant to say is
that many people are often annoyed by being asked answers to technical
questions in private, which more often than not, there is no good reason to do
so, other than not knowing better than to ask on an Internet forum.

If you really need to do that, one should:

1. Explicitly say why he or she are asking that in private in the message,
and explain why they cannot ask it on question.

2. Often they should be willing to pay the person whom they are asking for
private help for their time.

One exception I accept to that, may be asking questions about open source
projects or resources that I personally maintain. Even in this case though, it
is usually preferable to CC (= "Carbon Copy") a forum or an
issue/bug/ticket/request tracker or whatever.

Regards,

        Shlomi Fish