On 03/27/2014 07:55 PM, Rex Dieter wrote:
On 03/27/2014 05:28 AM, Jan Kaluža wrote:
Hi,

I wanted to improve Phusion Passenger package in Fedora and found out
that it requires (and currently bundles) libeio [1]. I wanted to
unbundle libeio [1], but found out it conflicts with Eio [2] from
Englightenment world.

Both libraries provides libeio library and therefore conflicts with each
other. I've contacted both upstreams ([3], [4]) and discussed the
possible renaming of one library, but unfortunately they are not
interested in renaming.

As I suggested in the fedora downstream ticket... I'd urge strong
consideration of renaming *both* libraries.  Ask both upstreams their
preferences for renaming, but make it clear that not renaming is not an
option.

I'd assume (hope!) other distributions would favor this approach as
well.  I'd encourage other distros to followup here and in the upstream
references made by Jan, to help come to consensus on the best way forward.

Unfortunately there's nothing new here. Upstreams are not interested in renaming their projects. I don't want my work to get stuck on this issue when the consensus looks to be unreachable.

I'm going to use libev-eio in Fedora soon. If you have an idea for better name, feel free to share.

Jan Kaluza

-- Rex