Tore Ferner wrote:
> Andrew Straw wrote:
>
>> Dear Tore,
>>
>> I think the issue you're having is that bzr-0.16 requires, syntax-wise,
>> Python 2.4 or greater, but your pycentral is configured to install
>> things for Python2.3. Specifically, the postinst file generated by
>> dh_pycentral calls each Python interpreter to compile the bytecode of
>> each source file. (I don't know if there's a way to tell pycentral not
>> to use Python2.3, but we can ask how if indeed this is the problem
>> you're facing.) What is the output of "pycentral showversions"?
>>

> Thank you for your response!
>
>    $ pycentral showversions
>    2.4
>    pycentral showversions is deprecated, use `pyversions -vs'
>
>    $ pyversions -vs
>    2.4
>
> OK, I'll read up a little on pycentral and see if I need to fix my system...
> Do you have python2.3 installed on your system? If you have, then there
> probably is something odd with my machine.

Hmm, this is strange. Apparently pycentral isn't interested in
Python2.3, and yet it does get called. It's possible there's a pycentral
bug, but I'm not sure. Can you post the contents of your
deb-dst/bzr-0.16.0/debian/rules file? I don't have Python2.3 installed,
so I'm flying blindly here...

>> FWIW, I built a version of python-bzr_0.16.0-1_all.deb using
>> more-or-less the commands you issued just now on Ubuntu Edgy. Upon
>> installing it, all went well, and I didn't get the issues you're having.
>>
>> Also, I just added a section "A complete example" to the webpage
>> http://stdeb.python-hosting.com/ using your package as an example. This
>> works fine on my system.
>>

> Yes, that's helpful. Thank you!
>
> I have a couple of questions; if you have time, maybe you could add
> information about this to your on-line example?:
>
> 1) bzr is, I suppose, a standalone program rather than a python module.
> It would be proper to name the package "bzr", "bzr-local", "bzr-mybuild"
> or something. I think "bzr" would be best, or perhaps that it at least
> provides bzr.
> What would be the best way to achieve this with stdeb?

Hmm, I'll have to add this. This shouldn't hard.
> 2) Would it be possible to get the source documentation under doc/
> placed in /usr/share/doc/package-name (e.g. /usr/share/doc/python-bzr)?

Again, this is another feature request -- I'll have to add support for
it. Unfortunately, there's not a universal standard for Python
documentation (separate from the source code), so this one will require
some thinking about.
> 3) How to shift the installation from /usr to /usr/local? (à la
> --prefix=/usr/local)

Hmm, another good question... Does pycentral actually support that? I
guess it does. OK, I'll consider this another feature request! :)

I'll send an email when I've implemented any or all of these features...

-Andrew