Jeremy Sanders kirjoitti:
K. Richard Pixley wrote:

Ronald Oussoren wrote:
For beginners this issue is a showstopper that they cannot resolve
without help.
I'm a relative beginner to distutils/setuptools/distribute, but a long
time configuration/build/packaging professional.  You're mistaken if you
think that any of these technologies are suitable for beginners.  The
state of python package distribution resembles the state of linux
packages circa 1995, except that it isn't very well documented at all.

As a general question, is there any planned project to improve the state of distutils or replace it? It appears to be one of the weakest parts of the Python system and needs replacing with something much cleaner, better documented and more powerful.

Even making something like cmake the standard would help a lot.

There is a lack of consensus regarding how exactly they should work. If we are having this much trouble deciding how a third party tool should work, it is certainly not going to be merged into distutils until those issues have been resolved. Distutils is what houses (or should) the parts we all agree on. That said, I think that plenty of setuptools/distribute functionality should be moved to distutils (after the code has been cleaned up and the proper unit tests introduced).
Jeremy