Chris Withers wrote:

> From that I infer that most people use tools like buildout or pip to
> manage installation, even on Windows.

I am skeptical about this claim because up to recently, virtualenv did
not even work correctly for windows when you needed to build a C
extension (bug which has been fixed since then), and setuptools from 2
weeks ago could not even produce workable entry points for scripts on 64
bits windows (fixed in last setuptools 0.6.9c11).

In the corporate world, msi rules (because of group policy and all), and
generally, wininst are much more similar to what people expect on windows.

I think it is also important to keep in mind that not everybody use the
same workflow - I myself build a lot of non trivial python softwares on
many platforms, and the whole virtualenv/buildout/pip workflows is very
foreign to me, and do not fit at all how I want to build and deploy
things. Data-free generalization on how people do things should be
avoided for those discussions, and we should focus on the requirements
and use-cases.

David