David Cournapeau wrote:
Chris Withers wrote:
From that I infer that most people use tools like buildout or pip to
manage installation, even on Windows.

I am skeptical about this claim because up to recently, virtualenv did
not even work correctly for windows when you needed to build a C
extension (bug which has been fixed since then),

I don't use virtualenv and I didn't mention it for that reason. Buildout has behaved just fine in all my use of it...

 and setuptools from 2
weeks ago could not even produce workable entry points for scripts on 64
bits windows (fixed in last setuptools 0.6.9c11).

"even" seems to imply this is a basic requirement. I wonder how many people are rolling out python apps on Win64? I'm certainly not...

I think it is also important to keep in mind that not everybody use the
same workflow - I myself build a lot of non trivial python softwares on
many platforms, and the whole virtualenv/buildout/pip workflows is very
foreign to me, and do not fit at all how I want to build and deploy
things.

How do you build and deploy things?

Chris

           - http://www.simplistix.co.uk