On 20 August 2013 09:51, Paul Moore <p.f.mo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 1. Will the bundled pip go into the system site-packages or the user
> site-packages? Does this depend on whether the user selects "install for all
> users" or "install for just me"?

If you have get-pip then why not choose at that point whether you want
to install for the system or for all users e.g.: 'py -3.4 -m get-pip
--user' (or perhaps reverse the default)?

> 2. If pip goes into system site-packages, what happens with the uninstaller?
> It doesn't know about pip, so it won't uninstall Python cleanly. (Not a
> major point, you can delete the directory manually after uninstalling, but
> it's untidy). Maybe the uninstaller should just unconditionally delete all
> of site-packages as well as whatever files it knows were installed. This is
> a "normal" issue when installing into the system Python, but for people who
> avoid that and use virtualenvs (e.g. me :-)) it's new (and annoying, as
> we'll never use the system pip in any case...)

Can you not just teach the Python installer to check for pip and
remove it if found?

> This raises another point - to an extent, I don't care about any of this, as
> I routinely use virtualenvs. But if using pip to manage the system python is
> becoming the recommended approach, I'd like to understand what precisely the
> recommendation is so that I can see if it's better than what I currently do
> - for instance, I've never used --user so I don't know if it will be of
> benefit to me. I assume that this will go in the packaging user guide in due
> course, but I don't know who will write it (does anyone have the relevant
> experience? most people I know recommend virtualenv...)

If I could install everything I wanted with pip then virtualenvs would
be more practical. Maybe when wheel distribution becomes commonplace
I'll start doing that. I basically always want to install a large
number of third party packages before I do anything though.

So for me the procedure on ubuntu is something like:
1) install ubuntu
2) sudo apt-get install python-numpy python-scipy python-matplotlib
ipython python-sympy python-dev cython python-pygraph python-tables
python-wxgtk2.8 python-pywt python-sphinx ...

On Windows the procedure is:
1) Install Python
2) Get MSIs for numpy, scipy, wxPython, matplotlib, PyQt, numexpr, ...
3) Setup PATH or create a shell/batch script called 'python' that does
the right thing.
4) Run ez_setup.py and Install pip
5) Patch distutils (http://bugs.python.org/issue12641)
6) Use pip for cython, sympy, ipython, pyreadline, spyder, sphinx,
docutils, line_profiler, coverage, ...
7) Build and install my own commonly used private packages.
8) Get more prebuilt binaries for other awkward packages when
necessary: pytables, numexpr, mayavi, ...

(You can see why some people just install Python(x, y) or EPD right?)

It takes quite a while to do all this and then I have basically all
the packages I want minus a few pippable ones. At this point I don't
really see the point in creating a virtualenv except to test something
that I'm personally developing. Or am I missing something?

Oscar