On 16 April 2016 at 17:42, Alexander Walters <tritium-l...@sdamon.com> wrote:
> To what end?

To the end of ensuring that people can get in touch with project owners.

> As much as old packages cluttering the namespace of pypi is
> annoying, the only thing that will accomplish is orphaning projects.

Not at all. The projects that would be affected by this are those that
are already orphaned, in the sense that there's no means to contact
the owner.

> We
> cant unilaterally hand over names on pypi to unrelated.. or even related..
> projects because they have a name someone else wants.

I'm not proposing anything like that - I guess when I said "requiring
project owners to provide an email address..." it read like I was
suggesting removing stuff if the owner went away. I hadn't really
thought much about what we *do* with projects where the contact email
becomes unmonitored (I *so* think it's acceptable to require a working
contact email when a project is registered, or maybe when a user
registers