On Mon, Apr 18, 2016 at 10:21 AM, Jim Fulton <j...@jimfulton.info> wrote:

> I suggest measuring activity by downloads, not releases. Sometimes
> maintained packages are boring enough not to need releases, while many
> projects depend on them.

I don't know about on pypi, but I know in general there are plenty of
packages that could be considered "complete". Although when it comes to
this particular case it *has* a lot of downloads, but there's no real
reasonable way to tell if it's an intentional download or a, "oh, that's
definitely not the package I meant to download" kind of case.

One instance that I can think about - Kenneth Reitz (afaict) used to have
the inbox package. I'm assuming that Nylas contacted him, and now there's
inbox and inbox.py. Neither package is particularly popular, with only a
couple hundred downloads each in the last month. But occasionally I've
downloaded the Nylas package when I didn't intend to.

I think you could *guess* that I meant to download the other package
because probably for each of the times I downloaded inbox, in 5-10 minutes
I downloaded inbox.py. But that's not a guarantee, of course.

Personally I'm more in favor of at least requiring some kind of, "Yeah,
this is still my project," (at least for projects that aren't being
actively updated, e.g. maybe no uploads for a year?).

One example of how things *could* be done is to follow the ICANN - you
register your domains, and after N months your domain expires and can be
scooped up by another owner. That's nice because people who don't care
about their property automatically release that back into the pool. Of
course on the other hand you have absolutely horrible people, like the ones
who registered my late brother's domain name that literally has no relation
to anyone besides him and wants several hundred dollars to buy it back.

And of course there's yet another option - re-branding your own project
into a name that's not taken by someone else.

I think it's a hard question, and I don't know if there can be a right
answer for all circumstances. But it may not be obvious because I'm not
Dutch ;)

-Wayne