On Mon, May 9, 2016 at 6:28 AM, Nick Coghlan <ncogh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9 May 2016 at 01:43, Donald Stufft <don...@stufft.io> wrote:
>> Overall, my suggestion here would be to have a file called ``pymeta.toml``
>> (or
>> ``meta.toml``)
>
> pymeta.toml would be fine by me.
>
> I don't really buy the "collision with Debian build tool" argument
> against "pybuild" (if I did, I'd be objecting to "pymeta" colliding
> with an existing PyPI package), so it's mainly the fact the metadata
> in this file covers more than just building has soured me on it.

Re: filename bikeshedding:

"pymeta" feels very "inessentially weird" to me [1]. This file is
going to front and center for newcomers, many of whom will never have
encountered the word "metadata" and especially not the hacker fetish
for the "meta" morpheme. I like meta-things in general! But I don't
like the image of trying to explain what a "pymeta" is over and over
and over again when teaching :-).

pymetadata would be better, but it seems like there must be something
less jargony available?

pypackage
pypackaging
pydevelop
pysource
pytools
pysettings
...?

Or if we're really daring and wasteful of characters, I guess we could
even go for something like python-tools.toml :-)

-n

(Tangent, but I'll write it down so I don't forget when we circle back
to the question of adding config for third-party tools into this
thing: [tool.flit], [tool.coverage] is probably a lot more obvious to
newcomers than [extension.flit], [extension.coverage]!)

[1] https://www.crummy.com/sumana/2014/08/10/1