On Thu, Nov 24, 2016, at 08:07 PM, Paul Moore wrote:
> Just curious - how does flit handle Windows for this? Symlinks aren't
> really an option there (you need elevation to create a symlink).
> Paul

It largely doesn't at present; it started out as a personal tool for me,
and I mostly use Linux. I have a few ideas about how to deal with
Windows, though:

- There's a feature called NTFS Junction Points, which is supposed to be
like symlinks, but only for directories. I believe these can be created
by regular users without elevated permissions. It might be possible to
use this for packages, albeit not for single file directories.
- Create a script/tool to give a user the permission bit that allows
creating symlinks, so users who know what they're doing can enable it.
Maybe there's some reason it's admin-only by default, though? It's safe
enough for normal users on Unix, but I don't know how different Windows
is.
- Run a daemon to watch package folders and reinstall on any changes,
something like Nathaniel mentioned with 'pip watch'. I probably wouldn't
do this as part of flit, but I'd be happy to see it as a separate tool.
As Nathaniel pointed out, this can actually support more stuff than
setuptools editable installs, or my symlinks, because it can re-run
build steps.

Thomas